I love tomato bisque – usually I go to the local cafe for it but this week I have an abundance of gorgeous tomatoes that MUST be eaten!
Creamy Tomato Bisque
Servings: 4-6 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
8 cups puréed tomatoes
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced into half circles
1 stalk celery, sliced
5 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- On medium low heat, add oil to soup pot and start sautéing onions and carrots. When onions are almost translucent (maybe 1/3 of the way there) add garlic and celery.
- Keep sautéing until onions are translucent, then add broth, tomato purée, thyme, oregano, basil, and 1 teaspoon salt to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer soup uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and use immersion blender to blend soup to desired consistency (the smoother the better I think!)
- Stir in heavy whipping cream, butter, and cayenne pepper. Add more salt to taste. Also feel free to slowly add more cream and butter to taste if you’d like.
- Serve with basil and chopped tomato garnish.
Next time I would like to turn this into a paleo recipe and use coconut milk instead and add some fresh squeezed lemon. Any suggestions on substituting the heavy whipping cream and butter for coconut milk?
In Health, Wellness & Love,
Mariah Brooks, LMT, BCTMB